Thursday, October 25, 2007

recording for arrangement

I just did a recording of my arrangement for Dr Tang's module few hrs ago with my friends.. Wa.. I must say I love them! They did inject feelings into my piece and can see they are very serious about it.. Funny thing is I recorded 3 times.. the 1st time tempo was the best, Allegro is fast enough coz I make them prac that speed before recording.. then subsequently I requested for more expressions which they really did beautifully.. and so my last recording has much more depth but the total recording time increased to nearly a min.! hahaha.. nvm lah given the short time frame, I'm already quite satisfied and touched by their performance. must be 知足常乐! Just nearly 2 hrs and it's done!
~
It's a pity my recording is so amateurish.. the video recorder didnt capture, i suspect i turned the screw too tightly.. so I'm using my hand-held recording for presentation, which is captured on digital camera, low resolution visually but luckily the audio standard still quite ok.. I'm so sorry to the quintet that I couldnt capture their facial expressions and heart-warming performance on a better device.. haiz
~
I have been keeping in mind what Dr Tang mentioned in class the other time.. he told us to write something nice, not too difficult that the insts. have to struggle to play it. You want musicians to be excited to play the piece, not forced, and audiences will love to hear it again. So, it does feel gd when musicians enjoy playing ur piece.. Of course not forgetting our harmony lessons last yr esp. on voice leadings and modulations which really served me well this time. hahaha hopefully i can start on another arrangement soon, but i do need to move away from my stereotypical structure of writing and improve on links btw. sections.


My next aim is to use the pop song jointly composed by jean, yif, joyce & me and re-arrange it for a chinese quintet.. see if it works out
It's funny isnt it.. pieces i write are so me.. and i always feel that u can see a person's personality judging by how he/she plays or write music.. my reserved self is so evident it seems, so i guess i have to learn to be more 'thick-skinned'

Workplace for the past 2 wks :D


1 comment:

*jean* said...

Wa JR! That is such a cool workplace. So convenient too.

Google