Thursday, April 12, 2007

Rach's 3rd

I watched the video of Olga Kern performing the 3rd piano concerto by Rachmaninov at the Eleventh International Van Cliburn piano competition and it was really brilliant! virtuosic fingerworks and the passionate artistry aside... what makes it even more admirable is that she played it with minimal pedalling.. which actually makes it even more challenging to produce the shades of colour, considering that there are very chordal passages and relying mostly on hand pedaling to build up the climax and emotions really require remarkable skills

I heard Rachmaninov and he himself played it without (or with very subtle) pedal, as can be discerned by that 'dryness' in his recording... but i wonder why? with pedal the effect could be better and achieved with much less effort... perhaps he desired for that clarity? or maybe the presence of orchestral accompaniment (esp the winds and brass inst.) to a certain extent helped mask that dryness so it is ok it dosent sound so connected between the massive chords?

Oh and Van Cliburn's rendition of the Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody no. 12 was awesome!! It must have been a sensation for those watching him live.. Am sooo excited after watching this that I dont think I will fall asleep anytime soon... haha.. Great performances are always a pleasure to one's senses... Anyone interested can go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAqA2E5D0lI

1 comment:

*jean* said...

Hey JR,

Haha, watched that video clip of yours. I must say his hands are really flexible. The thing that struck me most was the way his hands bounced as he played. I don't know if my eyes were playing tricks on me or not....

*jean*

Google