Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Albert Tiu and Thomas Hecht Duet Recital


Haha.. I know I’m digressing from what I’m supposed to post in this blog, but this is related to music right? I’ll try to keep this as short as possible =D

As you might have guessed, I attended this concert yesterday and it was a truly wonderful experience. This was held in the new YST Concert Hall. For those who haven’t been there yet, it looks like a smaller version of the esplanade concert hall.

Ok, one thing I was really impressed on was the kaleidoscope of tonal shades/ colours surrounding me throughout their concert. I finally understood what it really means to have depth in one’s playing. The expressive range and sound scope produced was so huge, it was almost comparable to that of an orchestra.

Wow! It has been a long time since I had felt so alive with the sound of music. I feel so inspired, am going to practice piano as soon as I get home.
Oh before I forget, Mr Albert Tiu improvised the birthday song for his wife during the encore. I noticed he basically make use of non-harmonic tones such as chromatic passing notes & neighbour notes to play with our expectation - i.e. the tendency to resolve was heightened by the usage of this chromatic p.n., but he keeps delaying the arrival of such resolution, thus creating the feel of musical suspense as well as musical joke in a sense.

1 comment:

ec said...

Hi jr,

Very glad to read about your uplifting concert experience at YST. No worries of being relevant here at all 'cos your observations re the expressive use of non-harmonic tones cannot be more pertinent! Keep your ears open as we learn more about musical elements and processes in class.

Google